Grow North Resource Library
This library is meant to provide overview resources and guides to help you work through questions you may be wrestling with.
We want to and will keep adding to this - are we missing something? Feedback? Send it our way!
Q1. Do I want to start a business? How do I get started?
- Check out this guide with some good questions to think through about starting a business.
- Still in? Check out the Small Business Association for helpful templates and resources.
- There are rules and regulations for starting a food business in Minnesota. Connect with an expert as you execute - but consider this your starting point.
- Minnesota's Cottage Food Laws
- Food Safety Courses through U of M extension and Food Safety Video Series
- (Almost) everything you wanted to know about MN Food Regulations
- Working in a Commercial Kitchen overview
- Safety Regulations for Food Processing
- MN Food Safety Fact Sheets from Department of Health
- Food Labeling Overview
- AURI Clean Labeling Guide
- There are many resources to get started in agriculture.
Q2. Okay, I did it. Now I need help scaling my business.
- Need a co-packer? Here's a great list from MN Department of Ag co-packer directory.
- Find a Farmers Market
- Check out the Minnesota Grown Directory
Q3. I need to fund my business to grow.
- Small Business Administration Loans Overview financial assistance programs
- Minnesota Dept. of Economic Dev. financing programs
- An overview of USDA Funding in Local Food Supply Chains
- Download Agfunder's Startup Resource Guide for Ag/Food Tech Innovation
- Farm and Agriculture Funding Overview from Renewing the Countryside